Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Golden Week is a time to ZZZZZzzzzzzzz...

We are going through what they call the Golden Week period in Japan. Basically it is a collection of holidays that fell on April 29 (Emperor Day), May 3 (Constitution Day), 4 (Greenery Day), and 5 (Children's Day). This year is one of the good year, because of how the dates are located, my office (and most other businesses in Japan) closed their offices on May 1-2. So, all in all, I got 9 days off! YEAH!

After working nearly 5 weeks straight, I was more than happy to just sleep in everyday, and occassionally have plans during the day, or meet up friends for dinner. It's been quite liberating.

One of the highlight of the week was on Tuesday when MirPir and I rented a car and went up to Nikko. It is about 170 km North West of Tokyo, took us about 3.5 hours drive through the normal roads. The trip was fun and it was great to have sometime to chat and unload. Went up to the shrines, and later on to the Lake Chuzenji and finally to Yumoto Onsen. It was quite special to go through a very misty area, going straight up with 48 very steep curves.



It was pissing rain, in different level of heaviness, but it didn't stop us from having a good time.

I also caught up with 24 Season 5. It was very good, but now that I have finished I am running out of thrilling things to watch. Hmm... I do have Lost Season 2 and CSI New York waiting to be seen...

OK, got 3 more days left, what should I do... Haven't quite decided yet. Though, an old friend is in town from Spain on promotion tour, will see him at some point. Other than that, maybe I should continue with the hybernation plan. Zzzzzzz...




Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger femmy said...

Sounds so relaxing to go see some sights. And I am so thrilled to read a new post. I'm addicted to your musings. I've gone through your entire blog and I experienced a taikotariblog-withdrawal the last couple of days.

btw, how much do you get to read with all your activities? I think I rarely see a book review here.

May 3, 2007 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

I would love to see Japan, the sceneries are breathtaking. And oddly enough, they look exactly the same as on my dad's photos from 1974 and 1980!

May 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

femmy - I read occassionally, like 5 books at the same time, so it usually takes me a very long time to finish a book, so review comes up slowly. :)

c-gen - good to have you back! You've been MIA for a while. You should come to Japan, at least while I'm still living here, so I can show you around! Promise.

May 5, 2007 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger femmy said...

Ah, parallel reading :-p Somehow that never works for me. The extras always get left behind and never looked at again. Do tell what's on your reading pile right now. I'd love to know what my oldest buddy likes to read nowadays.

May 5, 2007 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

I am at the moment reading:

"Trading Up" by Candace Bushnell

"What type am I - Myers Briggs Approach" by Renee Baron (this is for work)

"Pictures of Personality - Guide to the Four Human Natures" by John Lopker (this is also for work)

"The Scimitar and the Veil: Extraordinary Women of Islam" by Jennifer Heath

"Blink - The Power of Thinking Without Thinking" by Malcolm Gladwell

And, neither of them is nearing closing. I seem to be missing the reading energy these days. So, let's see. Have you read any of those?

May 7, 2007 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger femmy said...

Can't say that I have, though I've heard of them. I used to tend to stick to one genre or author at a time, coming and going in seasons, and rarely venture outside of them. But recently I am trying to broaden my reading net, trying out new kinds of books, so I am always interested to know what my friends are reading.

So you read a lot about personality stuff for your work, eh? I used to love doing personality quizzes :-p What do you think of Bushnell's book so far? I love to watch "Sex and the City", sometimes they are insightful. Never read her books though.

May 7, 2007 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Yes, a lot of this personality stuff is related to this new initiative that I'm leading for work for maintaining a panel of what we call the "Opinion Leaders". The approach that we take for fine-filtering these people is based on what is known as the Myers Briggs approach. We need to be sure we are speaking to a 'true' opinion leaders, because they are at the front line of marketing. Pretty interesting.

Bushnell's book is interesting, it's a no brainer book, got some good wisdom - it's real life stuff, unusual of course, but it's something that you can relate to. Especially for people about our age now. And for those who has been to New York, it's kind of like walking the NY streets again.

May 7, 2007 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home