Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

A lesson learned

In such days, you have to bow your head, think back, and reflect to what you did wrong and try to fix it for a better tomorrow.

There was a crisis at work on a project that I delegated to someone else because I had another responsibility.
The bottom line is, my client did not provide us with enough information and did not comply with my company's basic vendor procedure. For two years we had worked together and an issue had never come out.

Until yesterday.

Things that was not requested, suddenly was. Things that was not my company's responsibility, suddenly became one.
It exploded. In the middle of finishing up at the other place, I was called up to respond to this crisis. After a very long day of battle and putting out fires, everything was finally over.

Or so I thought.

I walked back to my desk and suddenly two of my team members called for a meeting. Even though the crisis was finally taken care of and we were finally off to a better ground with my selfish client; the situation is not the same with my team.
Not knowing what I had to go through on the other side battling with the client - they confronted me and letting their heart out. Fingers were being pointed, harsh words were flying all over the place. A volcano errupted.
From their perspective: I did not bother to understand how hard they had worked to help me in this project. Also that it seemed to them that I had always battled for the client and fulfilling their needs without enough consideration on the hard work that the team had to work on.
After a long conversation and heart-to-heart talk, finally we understood that both parties, myself and team members have not expressed and explained each other well enough until this time on the degree or situation of things that we do in our respective positions.

Apologies were expressed, broken hearts were mended, and off we go to a new page, a hopefully better tomorrow.

Lessons learned:
- I have to share and share and share so my team would understand that I am doing everything that I could in my power to help them and protect them. This was something that they never see directly, and thus uninformed.
- I also have to spend more time to listen to them and revisit my approach when speaking to them, so they know for sure I am with them at every step of the way.


This was a lesson that I had to learn the hard way. However it is also something I am determined to use as a stepping stone to make better decisions in the future.

Onwards, upwards!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger hijau said...

Aduh pantes aja ga ada kabarnya di blog ini sudah nyaris 2 minggu..

Syukurlah semua sudah berlalu, mudah-mudahan malah jadi makin akrab sama teammates ...

e-mail alamatnya ya, tar.

April 13, 2007 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Hi, delurking here! Just curious, are the other members of the team Japanese?

In my experience, the Japanese workers feel more strongly about having their efforts recognized, as opposed to "let's all do what we can for the client".

Glad that it kinda worked out in the end for you!

April 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

Isn't it true that "middle" management is the most unfair position, having to put out fires from both upper management, clients/customers, and team members? There's really no one to cover your back, eh?

I have my strategy all figured out, in case someone ever offers me a promotion (yeah, like that would ever happen?!). I will stand up, raise a closed fist in the air and shout "I say NO to slavery by promotion!" and then storm out of the room.

Ha ha ha, I'll never have a corporate career.. :)

April 14, 2007 at 5:37 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

hijau - iya makasih ya. emang lagi sibuk banget sih itu dan malah berakhir dengan masalah pula. *menghela napas* makin nambah umur makin macem2 ya masalah yang harus diatasi. :)

heidi - yes, the team members are all Japanese. Thanks for the insight, it's quite a challenge these cultural differences.
It was also very frustrating the way it came out, but now all is well. All that is well ends well, goes the saying. I guess the erruption really was a spice that came up along the way...

C-Gen - you made me laugh. You really did. Thank you!! :))

April 17, 2007 at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home