Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Let's take 5!

In the continuum of splurging on CDs, I added a few more titles to this shopping list.

And, O!, am I ever glad that I did!

I've always loved this song "Take Five". It was the ring tone on my phone for 2 years. Looking it up online, the name Dave Brubeck came up as the original performer for this song.

Thinking to give one of his collection a shot and after reading many rave reviews, the choice fell on "The Essential Dave Brubeck". This collection feature 2 CDs, 31 songs altogether.

"Take Five" was awesome, there are so many versions of this song available circulated, but this particular number in this collection featured Paul Desmond's spellbinding alto saxophone solo. Such an uplifting masterpiece, lived up to the song title.

Another winning piece is an adaptation of West side story's "Maria". Very engaging and serene - looked like the band has not only understood the song well, but they also understood the Maria character down to the very last dot: beautiful, charming - yet a little complicated.

I discovered that my money was well spent when I listened to Disc 1's "Blue Rondo A La Turk": WHOA!

Let me repeat...

WHOA!

As much as I love John Coltrane...

WHOA!

The saxophone solo (Paul Desmond) in this piece is absolutely captivating, paired with flawless piano arrangement (of course, this is Dave Brubeck).
In 10 days, I think I've listened to this song alone about 3,000 times (exaggerated, but literally about 50 times - according to my iTunes hit meter).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: get it. Get this CD, even if you have to sell your kidney to get it, just do it - it's totally worth it!
(or if you are that desperate, you're welcome to download the songs into your own iPod from my CD).

Now, maybe I could consider listening to the other CDs that I bought.

From the long list of CDs that I purchased together with The Essential, I hope that they are every bit as good as Dave Brubeck. Maybe this means that I can save some money by not buying anymore CDs for the rest of the year.

Yeah! *sarcastic chuckle*

Like that's gonna happen, eh?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Genilimaa said...

A Brubeck fan, eh? One of my favourites is the "Time out" album from 1962. There are only seven tracks, but those are all I need. Love the modernistic cover of it, too, looks like Kandinsky.

March 17, 2007 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger m said...

ha! I was just listening to John Coltrane today at lunch. "My Favorite Things".

Mr. M worships John Coltrane almost as much as he does Kurt Cobain.

:-)

March 18, 2007 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

C-Gen - Yep yep yep, a Brubeck fan indeed. Though all songs in "Time Out" are in this album, too!

Montchan - which "My Favorite Things" version were you listening to? The 17 minutes piece? That one is just absolutely phenomenal, I think.
Wonder if Mr. M has Coltrane's "At Carnegie Hall" album or not. That is one very fine album. Definitely look it up if you don't have it.

March 20, 2007 at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home