Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rosemary Bush V

I have this thing with rosemary, I use them a lot for cooking. They smell nice and they look great as a plant.
However, I have very little luck with them.

Why, you say?

In Tokyo, buying a few sprigs of rosemary is pretty costly. The cheapest would be 198 Yen (almost 2 USD) for 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary. That applies to all cooking herbs. Now imagine you want to cook a grilled herb chicken and the recipe called for a few sprigs of rosemary, bay leaves, parsley, sweet basil and fennel. We are looking at spending close to 10 USD on the herbs alone! That is just stupid spending. I mean, that's almost making you think that cooking at home holds no meaning.
So, the notorious Naked Chef suggested fellow cooks who cook at home a lot to start a small herb garden. He made it sound, oh, so easy.
Thus, I joined his footstep. I made my way to the plant store and bought a collection of herbs: rosemary, basil, parsley and Japanese aojiso.
They grew happily all throughout Summer to Fall, and Tari the chef is ever so happy because the herbs are free, all was joyful except the ever unsuccessful rosemary bush.

My first rosemary bush died because of over-watering.

So I bought another plant, it also died because of too little water.

And then the third one suddenly died because even though the water amount was perfect - it was exposed too much to the sun.

Finally, determined to have a rosemary bush, I bought a book on urban herb gardening and I followed the instructions to the letter. And disregarded the plant store-man's "WHAT? it died... AGAIN?" while persisted in consulting what the best treatment should be for a rosemary bush. I'm sorry to say that after 3 months... it died. Again.

Broken hearted, I've decided that rosemary and I just don't mix. Everyday on my way to work, I pass this bridal shop which has a giant bush of rosemary in front of their store, also Esperia my favorite Italian restaurant, has two giant bushes in front of the restaurant... and I'd shake my head while thinking... I'll just pick a few sprigs when I'm going to use it.
But yesterday, the inevitable happened. I passed the plant store by my house and saw that they have started potting the rosemary bush and they are for sale. I stopped my bicycle and walked in and bought two small pots of it.

OK... this is a big leap.
Always a city girl, I have absolutely no idea what to do when it comes to plants. Truthfully, I'm not much into gardening. If people have green thumbs, then I would be having red and yellow thumbs, no green tint anywhere in my thumb.
This is my fifth rosemary bush. I am going to see how long I can keep them alive this time.

Rosemary Bush Baby, I would not, should not, could not give up on you. Please stay with me...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger deenster said...

When I saw the title of this post I thought maybe there was a member of the Bush family I didn't know about...ha ha.

Hope these rosemary bushes live long lives! I always kill plants, too...it breaks my heart. :-(

February 8, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Well, they have survived a full first week and they still look pretty. Maybe I should put it on the ground somewhere. What do you reckon? Maybe I should buy a big big pot for them.

February 15, 2007 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home