Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another Tuesday Night with Tuesday People

So, last night I met up with some of the Tuesday people bunch for an impromptu dinner.

Wait, Tuesday people, you say?
Well, it is actually an unintentional group. From time to time, me and a few friends often get together for a din-din out. After the fourth meeting, we discovered that somehow we always meet on Tuesday evenings. Thus we declared ourselves the "Tuesday people".

Yesterday we set out to go to a new French joint that just opened up in my neighborhood - Bistrot d'Artemis. Alas the bistro was closed on Tuesdays, so we have to find another place.
Then we walked to Angkor Watt (Cambodian, as you can tell from the name), also in the neighborhood; since it's a safe choice for us since the restaurant is spacious and the food is tasty and cheap. And then another restaurant name struck, Rucola. So since we all have been to Angkor Watt, we decided to venture the Italian restaurant instead.

Let me tell you all about Rucola at my new spot on the blog.

At dinner, Tuesday-People-A from England talked about Lady Godiva*.
He shared with us the legend on how she took pity on the people of Coventry. She pleaded to her husband, Earl of Mercia, to bring down the tax for the people. He refused, but finally he said that he would do that only if she rode her horse naked around Coventry.
She announced her intent to the citizens of Coventry, asking them to stay in their houses or if on the street they should look away when she's out to do it. All obliged to that except for tailor Tom. He hid in a tower and made a whole so he could see Lady Godiva rode by. He achieved two things that day: the name Peeping Tom and he was also struck blind.
From then on, the people of Coventry was granted tax free (or maybe just a small amount. Tuesday-People-A from England wasn't very sure of the small details).

Which brings me down to another research.

Always a big fan of Godiva chocolates, I later on discovered that the name for the Chocolatier was indeed derived from the legend. But the relation stopped there. The company originated in Brussels, Belgium (not Coventry, England); and the recipes have nothing to do with Lady Godiva.
Oh heck, with every piece of chocolate that tasted this PHENOMENAL, who cares?

==
*Picture of Lady Godiva is a painting by John Collier, ca 1897. Digital image was taken without official permit from a Wikipedia article.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

I LOVE that painting you included here of Lady Godiva.

If you really want more info on my art, e-mail me at sistermarylisa@gmail.com

:) Thanks so much for the compliments! You are very sweet.

January 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

I love the red colour in this painting. For a moment, I thought it was a modern piece, some photo/paint hybrid.

Let's hope the nakedness has nothing to do with the chocolate. But who knows what them Belgians are up to..?

January 27, 2007 at 4:59 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

SML, yes! Isn't that a beautiful painting.
I will contact you about your art. And hope we can work something out. Liking your new avatar!!

Gen, yep, the dominant red is very powerful and deep. I truly hope the nakedness has nothing to do with the chocolate, but they gotta have some secret, and that's not only with it being a Belgian chocolate recipe... Which brings us back to the conclusion: well, if there is such thing as a Naked Chef maybe it is literal this time with the Godiva team.

January 27, 2007 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

The new avatar is courtesy of Genilimaa, queen of gimps and avatar! The resemblance to me is uncanny!

Thanks, Gen!

January 27, 2007 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

"The resemblance to me is uncanny", ha ha ha!! I imagine you saying that with a straight face, SML - god you're funny. When we do meet, I can totally see myself becoming that silly sort of friend that says nothing but giggles at everything you say.

January 28, 2007 at 4:53 AM  
Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

That's OK, Gen, if you giggle at everything I say. Heaven knows I'll be giggling at everything you say too, (like I already do) and we'll probably become objects of pity among all our friends. They will talk amongst themselves about how pathetic we are, sitting in our corner, squeezing the tummies of our roosters, and giggling uncontrollably. Doesn't that sound just a little bit like heaven???

January 28, 2007 at 6:48 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

hehehe.... that sounds very tempting. I'll be happy to visit all the time.

What kind of things do I have to steal to get my own avatar/gimp too? *nudge nudge, wink wink*

January 28, 2007 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

Aaah!! Never change your avatar Tari!! In my view, you have the most beautiful, artistic avatar of all bloggers. ALL!

But I'll gimp you anyway. Sigh. You're a grown woman and can decide for yourself. Sigh. But all other bloggers will hate me if you do change. Sigh.

(Maybe you could just print it out and keep it in a drawer? :)

January 28, 2007 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

OK... I won't change my avatar. For you I won't change it.
But I would still LOVE to have a gimp made especially for me. :)
I will put it up in a gimp wall of fame. That would be fun. I might also frame it.
Please make me a gimp? Pretty pleeeeeeease... :)

January 28, 2007 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger piece de resistance said...

it just so happened that i had the same painting on my blog with another ocasion unforseen enough I will link you to us
thanks for sharing
You may not able to read some of the caracters written in greek but most is in Enlish Let us know what you think
nice blog!!

October 4, 2007 at 2:38 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

piece de resistance - thanks for visiting. I will check out yours now.

October 5, 2007 at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home