Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

An Acquired Taste Supper

So, today we're on a topic of food that people would classify as 'an acquired taste'.

Here's the starting point:
For lunch today, I had a bowl of rice topped with natto mixed with spring onions and umeboshi, and then to finalized I had some durian chips, snacking on Djungelvrål licorice.
Here I was trying to be friendly to my colleagues and offered them with some durian chips and licorice (courtesy of Ms. Montchan). What surprised me the most was the response I got from them. They steered away from me. They went, "YUCK!" And that really hurt my feelings. Why? Because they're simply my favorite food!

So, I think it is as good a time as any to introduce what these foods are all about. Let's start with licorice.

Licorice*


Licorice is the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra, from which a sweet flavour can be extracted. It is basically a chewy candy. Popular in Northern Europe, in particular Scandinavian countries.
According to this article, licorice is supposed to be good for your teeth and is also used for expectorant (medicine for coughs).

...my story

I have to admit, I took my time adjusting to licorice. My first introduction was through my mother. She went on a trip to Australia and came back with a big bag of licorice. That was some 10 years ago. I hated it then. I didn't care much for the taste and continued about my life deciding to hate it.
Until I met Malaco salty licorice. My Swedish friend brought a bag of it over one day. She said, "I think you'll like it. Try them. Just have one full licorice, it might change your mind." So I did. I ate one licorice, and then another one, and then one more, and then the whole jumbo bag was finished. Since then, licorice is my new best friend.

Now, let's move on to another food in the list.

Durian**

Durian is a fruit with a spiky hedgehog like shell and has a very strong odor. It is native to South East Asian countries such as Indonesia or Thailand. For those who have tried durian and didn't grow up with it might think it's far-fetched to call it a fruit. Well, I have news for you, it is not a vegetable. It's a fruit.
The taste of a durian is really sweet with sticky texture. Opening a durian is an art and skill in itself. Think of a hedgehog and how exactly would you hold it... yes, it is THAT tricky.
Usage of this fruit is whether you can eat it raw (must wait until it's ripe to be enjoyed), or it is also commonly used for making sweets. Durian is found in medicines, useful to antipyretic (reducing fever), it is also believed by Javanese (my people!) as a strong aphrodisiac.

...my story

Durian, while loved by many South East Asians, are also equally hated by the other half of the population. Simply because of the odor.
I grew up with it. I love it. People steering away from the fruits odor? Fine by me. I get to eat it all for myself. Yumm!

Finally, let's talk about natto.

Natto***


Natto is fermented soybeans. Typically eaten for breakfast on top of rice, mixed with some dashi (fish broth), spring onion and umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum).
Natto is very sticky in texture. It actually looked like some food that has gone bad. You pull one soybean, there is a spider-web like thing that comes with it, making a big string. Pretty crazy. Pretty gross-looking, too.
Natto has a funny smell, funny texture BUT very delicious taste.

...my story

It took me 7 years to finally bring myself to eat it. And the reason why I didn't want to touch it in the first place was because of how people asked me whether I like it or not. "Do you like natto?" (high pitch at the second syllable, crunched face, daring me to say 'yes'). You see the way people asked me was as if it was some rotten thing that is not worth eating. New to Japan then, I figured... heck it must be something real bad.
And then over the years I grew more and more curious about it, simply because it's a Japanese staple food, EVERYBODY eats it.
One day I was at the grocer. Mr. Hooper #1 asked me whether I'd like to try one. He said, "It's good for your health." Somehow I agreed to buy one. You know what... It was YUMMY!!!! The way to eat it is an art in itself. Since then, when in Japan, everyday I eat a pack of natto. By the way, on your poor days, natto is the way to go. At Mr. Hooper's store by my house, you get 4 packages for only 100 yen (not even 1 USD). Good for your health, and good for your pocket.

Who wants to join my acquired taste supper?

==
*Licorice picture was taken from here.
**Durian picture was taken from here.
***Natto picture was taken from here.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Genilimaa said...

Hm, the natto looks special...Huu, I think I'll pass!!
But you know I'm into liquorice too, right? Djungelvrål is not for me though, it's too salty. I prefer Finnish brands like Panda.

Aaah, what I wouldn't give right now for a Panda box...?!

February 1, 2007 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

They are good, though!

Yes, C-Gen, I do know that you're into liquorice. So, here's how you can lure me quicker to go to visit Umea: tempt me with an assorted collection of licorice retail shop. I mean like the kick-ass BIG ones!!
Where can I get a box of Panda? the salty one. :))

February 1, 2007 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

That's just it, I need to go to Finland to get the BIG boxes! But I should manage that before you arrive...
:)

Meanwhile: never mind the last email with document I sent you. After getting more info I'm forced to go another way.
I'll tell you more over email.

February 2, 2007 at 4:29 AM  
Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Wow, that natto looks rather disgusting. But I'll try anything once (within reason). That sticky rottenness is a big turn-off, though.

And Gen, licorice is already en route.

:)

February 2, 2007 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

C-Gen , OK, I shall be there at some point in the next few Summers and collect my share of the panda licorice.

SML, maybe you should try that. I think Montchan was trying to feed some of her missies visitor one time. Oh! I just found the article. Click here!

February 2, 2007 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger femmy said...

Oh, I love me some durian! And through my dear husband, I was introduced to sambal tempoyak, made from fermented durian. Tari, have you ever tasted it? I think tempoyak is also an acquired taste. It tasted funny at first, but now I just love it!

April 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home