Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Another visa story...

Just for fun I decided to renew my tourist visa to the United States. You know, just in case I want to jump into a plane and visit my kin there. I have been out of the multiple entry visa for nearly a year, so it's time to make a new one.

My first stop was here. The US embassy in Tokyo make a good check list on what documents you need and suggested you to make an appointment prior to coming to meet the consulate officer. In a nutshell the steps that need to be taken are as follows:

1. Prepare your documents, take photos, make copies, fill in the electronic form and finally make an appointment for an interview. For Tokyo you can usually get yourself an appointment within 1 day, everything done best electronically.

A tip from an insider: the US consulate officers prefer pictures with no teeth showing. I think this is the most ridiculous tip ever, but better safe than sorry. Smile, but no teeth. It might also help if you take black and white picture if your hair is blue.

2. Go and actually attend your interview. The embassy gate will open at 8 AM, but the line is long and the security system is a bit like those in an airport. Don't bring liquid or electronics. If you do, the guard will keep your stuff for you in a booth like thing, with numbers and all. Oh, and don't forget to pick them all up after you're done.

...my story

My interview was stated to be at 8:15 am. I got up at 6 am, took a shower, got ready and pedaled over to my office, leaving my house at 7 am. I then discard my bike at the office and then hailed a cab, which brought me over to the embassy gate at 7:40 am. There were 4 other people before me, so I was number 5 in line.
The gate opened and I was finally inside the consulate's waiting room at 8:12 AM.

I waited. 8:45 am.

I waited some more. 9:00 am.

I waited and waited. 9:15 am.

By then there were at least 30 other Japanese people who were being called, and since I was number 5 in line, I knew for a fact that they arrived WAY after I did. Then I began to worry that they must have cancelled my application somehow.
So I was annoyed at 9:20 am, since:
a) my name was still not called upon, and
b) since I already paid the said JPY 11,600 fee (supposed to be the equivalent of US$100).

Finally my name was called at 9:25 am.

The interview was another story. For the first time in my visa application history, I met with an American officer who insisted to speak to me in Japanese. Yes, Japanese, Nihongo.
He asked me 4 questions. How long I've been in my job; what my company does; what service my company provides; why I'm thinking to visit the US. And then he declared my visa application approved. YEAH!
The entire interview took 2 to 3 minutes.

So the entire process is basically pretty simple. I have heard that visa officers are making things difficult to applicants to get their visa approved, but fortunately I have never encountered such problems. In my life I've applied for the US visitor visa 3 times and I've always been approved. I hope my visa luck will never change.
Now let's see if I can win a ticket lottery that will take me back to the US.

ps. I got home just now to find my passport with my new B1/B2 visa in it. 5 YEARS, BABY!! (multiple entry, too!) YEAH!!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Genilimaa said...

Truly annoying. What's the point of offering appointments if they can't be kept, I ask? Better to be truthful, "come in and hang out from 08:00 and we'll see if we can squeeze you in before lunch. Oh, but bring a lunch sandwich in case we don't."

I remember once, returning from London to Stockholm and being held up with questions about my hair colour. "The passport says light brown, but your's is clearly red." Yeah, so??!! Ever heard of hair dye??

February 4, 2007 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

Sounds like tons of fun to me. Wonder what the chances are of you coming to visit Montana.....

:) Of course, you could visit Yellowstone Park! There are lots of tourists who go there, and it's only a short 6 hour drive for me to get there!

February 6, 2007 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

C-Gen, I know, that's annoying indeedio. Oh well, I'm just glad that now I have the vies, I can now fly to Guam for a weekend, for example.
There are times when I just hate being an Indonesian, predomiinantly because of my passport limitation. And I travel a lot which can be costly when each time I have to apply for a visa.

SML, I might visit you in Montana, too!! Like I said to C-Gen here, don't be too surprised if I actually show up. I do have that tendency. :)
The Montana mountains seem really beautiful, so I should go and see them for myself. Do you ride horses in Montana?

February 6, 2007 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger jean said...

Glad you got your visa and sounds like it will be fun to have Ella around.

I only tried durian once in Thailand. It was good, but then a few hours later I drank some beer and nearly passed out due to some kind of reaction with the durian. I guess you can't mix alcohol with durian, something I didn't know.

The worst food I've ever smelled was 'stinky tofu' in Taiwan. The name says it all. Sidewalk vendors sold it and if you were downwind, even 100 meters away, the smell would just about floor you.

February 6, 2007 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger hijau said...

aduh-aduh, buat 5 taun? one word: WOW!

February 7, 2007 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Hi Jean - great to have you back! Do you know that hotels in Singapore abandon Durian? If you brought durian into your hotel room, you will be spotted, reprimanded and then finally fined.

Stinky tofu? whoa... did you try it?

hijau - hehe... yes 5 years, Baby!!

February 7, 2007 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger m said...

Tari, I had to go to the US embassy in Stockholm to get extra pages in my passport, and they treat citizens just as carelessly as foreigners. I waited and waited and waited. And then was told to come back in the afternoon, because they were full that morning. Boy, was I pissed.

But congrats!!!! 5 years!!! way cool!!! woohoo!!!

February 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Wow... bureaucracy at its best in Stockholm, hey?

And you're complaining about the Swedes???? hihihi

February 15, 2007 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home