Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Yin and Yang

Yesterday was a very interesting day. I had a very elatedly happy morning but shattered by a mere twist of fate.

As I sometimes do, yesterday morning I took a few hours off work for a bit of 'treatment' from the Doctor.
Partly because I will be away this Sunday - so I can't go, and because I am not so busy at work - thus this presents as good a time as any to pull a flex time, and most importantly because it was going to be my friend MirPir's first class at the taiko drumming. I always like to be in a newbie's first class, particularly when I brought the newbie into the troupe. I somewhat feel the responsibility to keep them entertained with the class, so they would come back for more.

Anyways, the class was excellent. An unusual Thursday class indeed. We had me, the great Tazawa-san, the chirpy Sato-san, Kiyomi, lovely Lena, Arianne, Hattori-san and of course the eager MirPir.
The class was divided into two shifts, the beginner and the advance. Sensei put me on both, so I could help MirPir out with some of the tricky pieces. Let me tell you, drumming for 2 solid hours with no break was quite a workout.
We played so many arrangements and spent sometime with MirPir so she could pick up the rythm and join in with the pieces. Such a happy morning, everybody was actually taking the time to re-study some of the pieces that we have taken for granted. Very energizing.

A professional musician, MirPir* picked up really quickly, she remembered the pieces very quickly and absorbed everything in, even the tricky movement. Normally sensei does not teach the movement so early in the class, but he did yesterday.
It was amazing to experience the energy, she was so happy to be banging on the drums, and I was so happy because she was so happy, and our teacher was so happy because everyone were giving their everything. Given the variety of levels in the players yesterday, the pieces were not perfect, but it did not matter. The class was so alive, the taiko drums even seemed to be giving out more energy than usual. And I couldn't stop laughing because I was ecstatic. This is one of the best class that I've ever attended.

Everybody stayed back, while I had to leave at noon and go back to my corporate live. I took the train to Yoyogi station and was ready to hop on my bicycle and discovered that my bicycle disappeared.
It was gone. Missing. GONE.

I thought... WHAT? Did some jerk steal my bicycle?

I was about to stomp my feet to the nearby police box, when I took a deep breath and looked around and I saw something really strange. There was no bicycle in sight. Not a single one. Only then it downed on me, I guess they're really doing it now. On that fateful morning, my beautiful bicycle was swept and being discarded at the bicycle graveyard because it was considered to be illegally parked.

Damn.

Not in the mood for the police to be preaching me about bicycle parking, I decided to just go ahead to work anyway and deal with it in the evening after work.

The bicycle was finally collected at the bicycle 'graveyard' not so far from my house. I had to pay 2,000 yen (about 20 USD) to bail it. At the graveyard I saw at least 300 other bicycle, which means if all owners go and collect their bicycles and pay the bail fee, in just one day's work, the government of Shibuya district has just made 600,000 yen (approx 6,000 USD) in one go.

Maybe I should consider a service I could provide for the district administration. hehehe. It seems like easy money.

All that happened yesterday made me wonder though... I think I was scarily happy yesterday morning at drumming, it almost consumed me. Then I got to the station and had the disastrous experience with the bicycle.
Something tells me it might have something to do with the universe trying to keep my feet on the ground. Do you belive in this kind of stuff? I'm beginning to.



---
*MirPir is a musician performing for the much celebrated Cirque du Soleil. Throughout 2007 and 2008, Dralion will be performing in various locations in Japan.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jean said...

Actually I do see a lot of yin/yang at work around me. Relationships are a big one -- so many times it seems that opposites attract. There seems to be a basic life force which dictates that polarities will come together to find a balance. And I've also found that many of my worst experiences have been paired with my best. Strange, isn't it?

February 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

The yin and yang symbol really has it down, not only the contrasts existing side by side but actually in motion and thus forcing the other side into motion. Balancing.

February 11, 2007 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger hijau said...

kalo ini yang dimaksud yin yang aku agak2 gak setuju. Dulu aku sering berasumsi demikian.
Tapi prinsip aku, apa pun yang terjadi hari ini, besok, kapanpun baik itu buruk, buruk sekali, baik, baik sekali. It just should happened.

February 11, 2007 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Sister Mary Lisa said...

OMG, I saw Cirque du Soleil in Orlando a couple years ago, and it was AMAZING. They don't pick people without talent in that show. I'm so impressed!!!

February 13, 2007 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Jean - how strange. But I think the world and happenings in life is all about balance. It's very weird, but it's hard not to see the reality.

C-Gen - you're right! I've never looked at the yin-yang symbol in that light, but now I do. Very interesting indeed.

Hijau - jadi menurut Dodi harusnya yin-yang itu definisinya sebaiknya bagaimana? Kalau yang Dodi bilang di atas itu gua kok lebih relate ke konsep 'ikhlas' ya?

SML - Aren't they just THE BEST? MirPir can play the violin upside down, meaning, the violin was not particularly upside down, but she was! And never missed a tune. It's pretty darned PHENOMENAL!

February 15, 2007 at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home