Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

11 days to go

Today is July 10, 2007. It means we are 11 days away to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows. I am counting the days. I am also forever grateful for Amazon JP.
Had it not been there, I would have had to go to Kinokuniya and line up like I have nothing better to do. Or if I'm desperate I can also camp in front of the store on Friday July 20 to get the first copy. You know, like those people lining up for at least 3 hours to buy Krispy Kreme doughnuts in Shinjuku.
Or like those people buying fresh melon bread near Mitsukoshi department store, also in Shinjuku (1 hour queue). Or Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland (2.5 hours queue).

I just think there is more to life than just stand around lining up for something. Well, I could bring my Harry Potter book and read it while waiting in line, that would be the most bearable scenario. That is if I ever want to waste my time and line up for anything at all that takes longer than 20 minutes max (unless it's absolutely necessary, such as boarding into a plane, or barging into a dentist office for a severe cavity case).

Speaking of Mr. Potter, I just finished re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix around lunch time today. It was a triumphant 6 days process! Yeah!!!
(By the way, did you know that he was born at the end of July? That means he's got the same birthday with me. Ha! That answers why he's so cool. When he's not busy being angry, of course)

Today I'm going to start re-reading Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince. This is a part of my project to re familiarize myself with the small details upon the arrival of the Deathly Hollows.

Yupe, OK, I must get onto reading the paper outline for the Paris conference, the last 20. Can't help to think that had they been even remotely as interesting as Ms. Rowling's creation, this would have made the process a lot quicker.

C'est la vie...

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger femmy said...

Ah... the Harry Potter craze.

You know, for the previous six books, I waited until the paperback edition came out to buy it at a more sensible price. Paying Rp200.000 for a mere novel is just too expensive in my book! He is just one among the many fantasy series that I read. If the others can wait until paperback, then he should, too. You hear that, Harry?

*trying with all my might, not to give in to temptation and run to the nearest bookstore to pre-order it* :-p

July 10, 2007 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

femmy - dude, I think you're insane for willing to wait for the paperback to come out. The binding will break, I bet. It's just too thick! Hence the hardcover. And it looks a lot prettier, too, lining up next to each other in the bookshelves.

Heck, patience is really NOT my virtue.
This probably explains why I don't seem to have a decent saving account - I don't think twice when buying books or CDs :P

July 10, 2007 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger femmy said...

They'll probably split the book if it's too thick for paperback. It's been done before. I have yet to read a book that breaks its binding, no matter how thick. So I'm not worried in that department. Besides, paperbacks are much more comfortable to read than those bulky, heavy hardcovers.

But there's another temptation of downloading the ebook from the internet. It happened with the sixth book. My dear hubby downloaded it mere days after the book publication. He read it, of course. Me, a staunch supporter of copyright (and my Taurean self had something to do with it, probably), managed to avoid it and bought the paperback early this year. I don't know, though, if this time around I still have the willpower to do that. It's the LAST book!

Well, we'll see what happens...

July 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Just buy the book! Really, it's much nicer to have the book. For good conscience, I can never live with myself if I don't have the last book to match the last 6. Downloading the 7th book? *Shudder* definitely NOT an option.

July 10, 2007 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger hijau said...

Hmm aku masih gak habis pikir. 3 jam untuk sebuah donat? Yay, Japanese pasti suka sekali mengantri. Hobby yang aneh.

July 11, 2007 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger m said...

I no read no Harry Potter. i did try... Fell asleep during the first book... Ay!

And speaking of Paris, do you know the exact dates you will be there? And the hotel you'll be staying at? I think I need to make my bookings too. And guess what? I am bugging c-Gen like there's no tomorrow, so she might come too!!!!

hehehe!!!

July 12, 2007 at 2:00 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

hijau - yes, I know. It's a little strange here in Japan. For the most part, once they saw a big line, the automatic thing to do is to stand in line, because obviously it is something that this many people are looking for, and then they will ask questions as to what exactly they are lining for, and then when they discover that they did not mean to line up, they leave. Or if it is indeed something fascinating, they will persist with the line. This is a very strange place indeed.

Montchan - ah, you must have just been tired or something, you could give it another go, you know. hehe.

Speaking of Paris, I just shot you an e-mail with details, so hope we can work something out and get c-Gen to join the parade!

July 12, 2007 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home