Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Food Obsession

Friends often ask me what my favorite food is. The answer to that is... none. I don't have any favorite food. What I do have is temporary obsession, when I'm into some food, I will want to eat that food everyday as a staple, for about a month or so, and I will stop once I'm sick of it and move on to the next food obsession.

So, last month I was obsessed with tofu and broccoli, now I am obsessed with two foods: tiramisu and macarona bel bashamel.

Häagen-Dazs has recently come up with this fantastic tiramisu special, but there is no way I can eat that everyday without splurging. One small cup costs nearly 400 yen, which frankly I think is too much, even for a Häagen-Dazs (a regular price for Häagen-Dazs ice cream is 260 yen per cup, normal brand costs 100 yen per cup, see what I mean?).

Now, this macarona bel bashamel is this fantastic dish that is originated from Egypt (Iftar). On Sunday I went to a friend's gathering, and was introduced to this lovely Egyptian couple, who brought this lovely Egyptian dish. This dish is very simple, you cook the macaroni (penne would do fine) and then you put a layer of meat in between with some spices and onion, and then you top it with the special bashamel sauce (milk/heavy cream based mixed with flour) and then you grill it in the oven until the bashamel sauce turns brownish. This food is a delight!

So, to cater for my obsession, I came home yesterday and started making some tiramisu, with a killer recipe from Penny Lane Kitchen (natural cooking club). I woke up this morning well after the requested 4 hours wait, and tried my first home-made tiramisu, and it was HEAVENLY. Finally I found a reason to use up my Kahlua bottle collection. I have like 3 bottles from a research that I did for them and for one who's not keen on liqueur, having 3 bottles of Kahlua is truly a waste.

This is my first attempt to make tiramisu. I need to get more sponge cake/lady finger thing to use up all of the mascarphone and whipped cream mix. And I need to get a wider diameter pan, as it seems. Otherwise the tiramisu will be very tall!

Now I am waiting for macarona bel bashamel's recipe from the lovely Egyptian lady so I can make it!

Gosh, I need to spend more time at the gym, this current food obsession will undoubtedly need some shedding away. Yeah, a move to tiramisu from tofu and broccoli is dangerous!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger femmy said...

Do these food obsessions repeat, or once it's passed, it's passed forever?

A couple of years ago my dad once had an obsession for grilled fish from Pak Chi Met. Every week when he came to Bandung, he always bought and ate some. It lasted for a couple of month or so and then suddenly he was sick of it, and cannot stand the sight of them to this day.

June 19, 2007 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

It can come back. Sometimes it repeats really quickly (within 3 months or so), sometimes it takes a year for me to return to the cycle.
Oh my gosh, grilled fish from Pak Chi Met.... yummmmmmm, I want that!!! yum yum yum!

June 19, 2007 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger m said...

tiramisu is a staple at our house. I can live without many things, but not tiramisu. And I try tiramisu at EVERY restaurant that has it on the menu.

June 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Do you still have this Tiramisu recipe? Thanks.

October 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home