Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Smokey Joe and BBQ Hazard

Just when you thought life can be dull at times, several little things emerge to keep your days amusing.

I've been wanting to have a BBQ. One lunch break I decided to venture National Azabu Supermarket in Hiroo, it's a pleasant 30 minutes walk from my office and they always seem to have interesting international products from all corners of the world. Sure the price is high, they rob you blind in that place, but what's a few hundred yens more if that could cure your homesick.

Where was I, I'm losing my point...

Oh, yes, BBQ!

National Azabu is selling BBQ at a 'bargain' price. A little Weber's "Smokey Joe" for only 5,770 yen. (yes, yes, it's almost double the price of it's manufacturer's price, but then again you're shopping in Japan, can't complain. Just be thankful it's not 10,000 yen).

So, I just had to have it.

I bought the grill and decided to have some friends over for a BBQ dinner to mark the beginning of Ramadan.
Perfect plan!!!

Well, the lady in the store adviced that I should just buy some pre-soaked charcoals so I wouldn't have to wait too long to let the fire start, but she did warn that there will be some faint smell to come with the easy-to-light coals.

On Sunday, a few hours before my guests are scheduled to arrive, I decided to try my new Smokey Joe. I read the manual from cover to back and felt confident that I know everything there is to know about starting a BBQ.
Smokey Joe was positioned comfortably at the public balcony. It is semi-outside, it was a breezy day. Having never started a BBQ ever in my life, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I lined the coal brickets according to the instruction. And then I lit the light as instructed by the Weber book. After two seconds a big bonfire suddenly lit up in my Smokey Joe. By bonfire, I meant a big flaming fire like in a Summer camp. It came out so suddenly, I missed it just barely, and caught a little bit of fire on my hair... It must have been the super-power coal that I bought. My book said that normally you'd have to wait about 15-25 minutes - the 2 seconds time I had really was a surprise.

It was pretty terrifying. The flame didn't die down for a while, flaring up high, almost to the ceiling, and there was also the pretty strong odor - not faint like the lady in the store said. Only then it occured to me... maybe I shouldn't be doing BBQ in an area where it's not entirely outside. (And besides, according to my apartment contract, I wasn't supposed to be putting anything in that area... let alone burning something... Whoops!)
I was very sure that the strong odor would make my landlord panic and was sure he would be calling the police and confiscate my brand new Smokey Joe before it created a disaster. So I ran really quickly to the bathroom and take a big bucket of water. Back out in 1 minute, with a bucket of water in hand, I heard the sound of the fire truck sirene. "EEEEEE....OOOOOO....EEEEE.....OOOOO....EEEE....OOOOOO!!!!"
I thought... "OH SHIT! WHAT DID I DO??????"
It went on and on and louder and louder... I was very close to throwing the bucket of water to the fire and prepared a towel to wrap the crime evident, and then..... the sirene was gone. Kaputt.
I've never felt so relieved in my life.

The fire finally went off after 10 minutes, I began BBQ-ing my egame-leaf-wrapped salmon and some white fish. The leaf was crispy, the fish was thoroughly grilled, the fish meat was juicy. It was very tasty. Yummmmm.

So, I guess that the moral of the story is that for first-timer, when starting a BBQ, it is wise to get some supervision by someone who's done it before at least a couple of times, so you know what to expect and that you should NEVER start BBQ indoors.
I love my new Smokey Joe, so I will continue to BBQ, but I will also have ready a propper fire extinguisher. Having one would surely give some confidence boost.

Bon appétit!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always have a fire extinguisher in your house, and a plan "B" for everything... safety first, mbak...
btw, why wasn't I invited? :( ...

September 30, 2006 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

My daling brother, you need no invitation to such thing. You should always think that you are ALWAYS welcome in my house.

October 1, 2006 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Beni Suryadi said...

itu teh kayak kompor buat naek gunung kan?
maap cuma menebak dari liat gambar doank
i dont spik inglish, pabiliut saya nya mah..hehhee

October 1, 2006 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Iya, bisa dipake buat naek gunung, cuma berat aja bawa2nya, mangkaning gede pula. Paling OK kalau dibawa kemping. dari mobil, ke deket tenda, ke mobil lagi. hehehe...

October 2, 2006 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger m said...

hahaha!!! Here we use pure ethanol to start the fire. Yoshi brings it from the lab. But we NEVER barbeque indoors! Swedish smoke alarms are VERY efficient.
;-)

Hmmm.... I wonder how I found that out.... :-)

October 3, 2006 at 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home