Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Intermezzo: The Concept of Time

It's funny what the mind can come up with when given the privilege of time. Today I got up at 8 AM and spent about 30 minutes sitting on my couch while munching breakfast, and let my mind wandered.

I remember thinking that it's been such a long time since I felt so refreshed and rested and I was trying to figure out what made me feel that way. And then I realized why, I've been given the gift of time.

For the first time in the year 2006, I was able to have a 'normal' week. By normal I meant: working 9 to 6, have the normal 2 days weekend - Saturday and Sunday, and not having project evenings. Hip hip hooray!
Now this means a lot for people in my industry, especially in Japan.
I know this is probably not a big deal for the general public, where everybody else's schedule is pretty much set, working Monday to Friday, having weekends Saturday and Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I would never trade it with anything else (well, I will definetely consider an apprenticeship with Kodo, but that's like a very loooong shot). But as with every other job, being a market research analyst has its own catch: not having the normal concept of time. We don't have that working-Monday-to-Friday thing.

When everybody else is planning a weekend away with friends and their loved ones, 90% of the time I'd always have to say, "I'd love to go, but I have work that weekend, sorry. I can meet you for drinks in the evening though, so you can tell me all about it."

Or when a friend says, "Can you come and cheer me at my gig on Friday night?",
I usually have to say, "Well, I have a project that evening, I can be there around 11 PM, are you still going to be there?"

Or when a friend says, "Let's have brunch on Saturday morning?"
then I'd have to say, "No can't do, I have to work. How about a late dinner on Sunday?"


An illustration on how my days are scheduled in a month (June 2006)

Sure I get to make up for my lost time in a mini vacation in a form of comp days galore, but it's never the same. Most of the time I'm just sleeping trying to get rid of the endless fatigue from the project marathon period and besides... EVERYBODY ELSE IS WORKING!!!
So as a result: I still don't get to see anyone, even in my days off.

Optimistic, that's my middle name. With a very good faith in dear friends and family, optimistic that they would have some understanding for a market research analyst's bizarre schedule - I sincerely hope that you bunch would never be tired to invite me to join you, even when I say I can't be there, I'm always there in spirit. Save me a spot.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few comments:

I don't have weekend(s).. I work from 8-6, 6 days a week :), sometimes on Sunday(s) too...

How about a friend of mine? he works in the middle of nowhere, 6-6, 7 days a week, 14 days off after 10 weeks on site... personal life? don't have any... hihihihi... I wonder how he manage to enjoy it...

August 25, 2006 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

hehehe.... cheers!
Solidarity cheers to everyone with the abnormal schedule. You gotta love your job to be able to live with the abstract arrangement, hey?

August 25, 2006 at 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think he loves the job coz he always complain... Maybe he just wait for the right moment to go.. or waiting for another opportunity? .. I dunno, I prefer to make my own opportunity .. :D

August 25, 2006 at 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he did for the money!!!
i am somewhat work in bizzare hours occasionally, but i know i need weekends to recover. i always look forward to do nothing at least in one of the days in the weekend. My mind and body does not operate well without resting....

August 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

I hear you Tari - I haven't had a normal work week in forever. Hell, I haven't even been "home" in forever (whatever that means - I've been living out of a suitcase for months). But, I have a light at the end of the tunnel! YAY!

August 29, 2006 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Beni Suryadi said...

oalah, in english kabeh...
bos Goio..translate in dunk =)

salam hormat mbak Tari
saya teman goio yang jelek
#baca nya pakai intonasi yang benar =)#

September 2, 2006 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Piw said...

tari, yang penting happy n sehat ya :*

September 3, 2006 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Piw said...

tari, yang penting happy n sehat yaaaa

September 3, 2006 at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home