Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

A Reflection: Ramadan and Eid Al-Fitr 1 Syawal 1428 H

Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar الله أكبر الله أكبر الله أكبر
la ilaha illa Allah لا إله إلا الله
Allahu akbar, Allahu akbar الله أكبر الله أكبر
wa li-illahi al-hamd ولله الحمد

There went the takbir to mark the arrival of Eid Al-Fitr day, otherwise known as the 1st of Syawal month of 1428 Hijra calendar.

It goes without saying that I am ecstatic with the arrival of one of my favorite days in a year, with a hint of sadness.
Sadness? Yes, because this means the end of my favorite month in a year, Ramadan.

Ramadan

In reflection, this year's Ramadan was ultra special to me. The reason for that was because I was able to start this with my family. I was home for 8 days earlier in September, and thus Dad, myself and my brother could start the fasting together. As well as having the chance to have some traditional iftar get together with some old friends, reliving the spirit of silaturahim (keeping in contact with your friends, families and loved ones).
Coming back to Japan, I tried my best to continue to do this, and was able to host several iftar meals, as well as making my way to visit the Muslim community in Tokyo to attend the tarawih prayers and listen to the sermons.

It is true what they say about Ramadan being a trying month. Spiritually it is believed that things are especially difficult during these 30 days, because that will be when your patience and effort are tested the most. And above all that, you are also physically challenged for not being able to eat or drink etc during daylight.

You see, I don't normally buy these kind of sayings, and try my best to treat everyday just like any other day. Some are good, some are not. But I do notice that several monumental problems and challenges did arise this month. I had to make several difficult adult decisions and deal with what seems like endless problems. How they all seemed to happen within this spiritual 30 days, beats me.
Maybe my attention and senses are especially heightened during this time, maybe I'm consciously trying to make sense of the old sayings, maybe that's why.
As the Muslims would say it... Wallahualam bi shawab.

Eid Al-Fitr 1428 Hijra'

After 30 days of enjoyable hardship, arrived the long awaited Eid Al-Fitr. This year I chose to do it the Turkish way.

The Eid morning prayer was held at the beautiful Turkish mosque in Yoyogi Uehara. The prayer started at 8:30 am. I donned the hijab and made my way there. Leaving my house rather late, I hailed a cab.

"Where can I take you, Madam?" asked the cabbie.

"I want to go to Yoyogi Uehara," said I.

"Ah, today is the end of Ramadan, isn't it? I saw it in the news earlier. I trust you want to go to the beautiful mosque there?"

"Yes, the very one. Thank you! I'm very happy you know what a special day today is!"

I was very pleasantly surprised that my costume for the morning had made a statement and generated a positive recognition from a mere stranger.



Arriving at the mosque, I made my way up to the ladies section.
What joy! It was a full house.
The Turkish mosque, being Tokyo's Islamic center, always attracted Muslims from different countries. Ladies with different complexions, brightly colored head scarves, festive dresses all gathered there.

"Assalammu'alaykum! Happy Eid mubarak!"

One thing I noticed being very different in this mosque when compared to Indonesian Eid prayer... the mosque was quiet. Nobody was chanting the Eid takbir. In Indonesia from the eve of the Eid there will be non-stop takbir chants coming out from all corners of the street, house, television, mosques... everywhere. Such was not the case.



At 8:25 am the Imam started reciting a sura from the Al Qur'an (Koran).
Everybody tuned in and listen. After about 10 minutes he then finished.
Following that the Imam began explaining the procedure of the Eid prayer that he was about to start leading and began with the procession.

After the prayer finished, the Imam began his Eid Al-Fitr sermon. He went up to the mimbar (a pulpit in a mosque) and gave his sermon. He first did it in Japanese. It was pretty cool to be able to have a peek at the Imam doing it from the second floor (where the ladies area is located). As a female Muslim, you don't get to see that done very often in big mosques because usually the ladies area is located very far back.
The essence of the sermon was about keeping good relationship with your family and loved ones, neighbors, friends, everybody and (basically) peace on earth. And that you should do good things to everyone that you know, Muslims and not.
He then did it again in Turkish and finally in English. After the sermon was finished we continued with (finally) chanting the takbir... and called it a morning.





A very special evening

After an eventful morning at the mosque, I walked back to my house (about 30 minutes on foot) and trying to conspire a strategy on how I was going to handle the Eid open house later in the day.
For starters, it just hit me that morning that nearly everyone were planning to come over for dinner. That meant that I was looking at 20-22 people coming all at once from 7 pm. Oh my.
My apartment is minniscule by many standards, and I honestly don't think I have enough space for everyone. And also... I had only started a third of the cooking to feed that many mouths.

I could so easily freak out...
But I didn't.
Hehe.
Instead I picked up the phone and rang my parents. After all, it's the tradition to do so, calling up all of my family members up and wish them happy Eid.

Having done so, the clock struck 12:30 pm.
Oh my gosh, I REALLY had to start cooking.
After 3 hours of labor, I finally finished everything that I was set out to cook:

Opor ayam (chicken white curry)
Sambal goreng ati (chicken liver and potato chili)
Daging saus (mum's special beef dish recipe - my brother's favorite)
Acar mentimun (cucumber relish)
Lontong (rice dumplings)
Gado-gado (Indonesian boiled salad)
**Kerupuk udang and emping melinjo udang manis (shrimp crackers)




The guests started arriving from 5:30 pm. From Lika (my high school classmate), not long after that Mamma Miffy and Ella Bebe turned up. And then Brother J came with the very delicious shrimp crackers (**) that I requested him to bring. From then on, pretty much everyone showed up at the door almost all at once. At one point that evening there was a moment where I had 18 people spread around all available corners in my house. Everybody talking, laughing, eating, drinking.

I remembered taking a few moments here and there from my corner in the kitchen, observing everyone... and I felt so much joy and warmth creeping into my heart. Even now, thinking about last night, it brought the biggest smile to my face.
These people are my family here, in my home faraway from home. And they were all there, in my little home.

This was a very wholesome Ramadan and a very special Eid Al-Fitr.
The special evening alone is a reason enough for me to always be thankful for the good life I've been blessed with.

Thank you very much, Everyone, for making it so special.

And once again... Happy Eid mubarak!!!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger m said...

You are easily the coolest person I know! Next time I'm in Tokyo I want to see that pretty, pretty mosque. There used to be a Pakistani mosque somewhere, but I don't remember, if it was in Tokyo or in Osaka. It wasn't pretty at all. I think it was in Osaka.

October 14, 2007 at 2:48 AM  
Blogger hijau said...

duh jadi sedih bacanya!
Selamat lebaran Tari
Mohon maaf lahir batin!

Salam juga buat lika...

October 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger femmy said...

Met Lebaran ya Tar... Mohon maaf lahir batin! Sounds you had a wonderful Idul Fitri, alhamdulillah.

And you look very nice in the hijab! I think I read somewhere in the Qur'an that one of the purpose of wearing it *is* so that you are recognized as a muslimah (I'm too lazy to look up the verse right now). It's always nice to read what's written in the Qur'an happening in real life. It was one of *my* reasons in deciding to wear the hijab, too.

October 14, 2007 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger deenster said...

It was a fabulous evening, Tari! Thank you! You are an amazing hostess, and I am still amazed how you cooked all that food for us. I'm already looking forward to next year!
P.S. It's pretty cool that your taxi driver realized that it was Ramadan.

October 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Genilimaa said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Impressed by the cooking!

October 15, 2007 at 2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jiyaaaaa.. it was the most delicious food I've eaten this ramadhan.. nyam nyamm... can't wait for the next invitation, mbak tari.. hihihihi..

aren't I lucky to be part of the family?! kikikikkkk...^_^v

October 17, 2007 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Happy Eid!!

I was browsing the web for the Tokyo Mosque and I stumbled upon your blog! Pretty cool (^_^)

Anyways my parents are here and I thought I'd bring my dad to the Tokyo Mosque at Yoyogi-Uehara tomorrow for the Friday prayers. If you don't mind, could you possibly tell me how to get there from the train station?

Is it easier to walk or easier to take a cab? Thanks!

October 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Hello milkberry - it's pretty easy, you want to go to Yoyogi Uehara station and then get out of South exit. And then when you hit the big street, turn right and keep on walking for about 3-5 minutes. The mosque is on the left side of the street. Here's a link for a map. http://islam.web.infoseek.co.jp/benri/masjidtk.htm

October 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu'alaikum wr wb
Nice writing =). I envy your english writing skill.

I am in Tokyo too (well, Yokohama to be exact, but it's close), I don't know that there is a free meal spot in Tokyo =) hehehe

October 20, 2007 at 9:24 AM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

Montchan - I will take you to the mosque next time you're in town!

hijau - lo kok sedih sih Dod? selamat lebaran juga dan mohon maaf lahir batin ya!

Femmy - Met Lebaran juga ya Mi. Minal aidin wal faidzin. Thanks also for the compliments. It felt good wearing that then. I haven't had the calling to wear it full time yet, but with baby steps I want to wear it sometimes.

Deenster - good to have you back! and I'm looking forward to next time, too. Come to think of it, I think we should go and warm your house. hehe.

c-Gen - it was a WONDERFUL time. how are you btw, the 'king' cured yet?

Qnoi - wehehehehe. asal dibantuin cuci piring mah ok aja.

milkberry - please see the instructions I left above. Happy Eid to you, too! I hope you and your dad could find the mosque alright yesterday

Yazid - Wa'alaykum salam wR. wB. thanks for visiting! Happy Eid to you, too! Hope your Eid celebration was merry in Yokohama. Come to visit again sometimes.

October 20, 2007 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger ted said...

di yoyogi rame ya? tempat nya luas? di srit penuh sesak....

btw.. salam kenal...

October 28, 2007 at 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home