Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Aglio, olio e peperoncino a la Taiko Tari

After a long hard day at work (starting from 8:30 am), last night I came home late at 10:30 pm.

Famished and tired, I had about 30 minutes with the remnant of my energy to eat something and sleep and do everything all over again from 3 am.
I opened my fridge: nothing in there. I opened my kitchen cabinet - a lot of uncooked materials. There was virtually nothing but chips and lentils and canned goods that, frankly when you're as tired as I was last night, looked very unappetizing.

Then my eyes stumbled across some dried red chili pepper that my Japanese mum sent over earlier in the week, along with some dried bay leaves that our Niigata neighbor naturally dried from the big bushy bay tree in their backyard.
Then I thought... hey, I should make that pasta dish that is very simple, yet tastes very good. I went online trying to find a recipe for this pasta dish, but I couldn't remember what that dish was called.

I searched and searched. I bloody hell could NOT find it.

My tummy rumbled loudly. Yeah, I didn't eat all day because of Ramadan, except for the 2 pieces of chocolate at iftar, and now it's asking for some help.

So, I gave up Google and Cooks.com and started pulling out some pots and pans. You know what, let's just be creative here.

This is what I came up with:

Red pepper, garlic, olive oil and pasta recipe a la Taiko Tari

Ingredients:

spaghetti, however much you want to eat in one sitting
garlic, 2 big cloves, crushed or chopped
dried red pepper, 2 - slice thinly
dried bay leaves, 3 leaves
sea salt, to taste (about 1 tsp)
soy sauce, 1 tbsp
freshly grated parmesan cheese
SPAM oven roasted turkey, half a can
extra virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp

How to cook:

1. Slice SPAM oven roasted turkey, flash fry it with butter in a wok
2. At the same time, cook the pasta according to the instruction in your package, al dente. Drain and put aside
3. Heat the olive oil in the wok where the turkey was fried in #1, put in the garlic and cook until the garlic turned golden brown
4. Put in the sliced dried red pepper, cook until you smell pepper and your eyes watery
5. Put in the bay leaves, cook until you can smell the bay leaves fragrant
6. Toss in the cooked pasta in #2 and mix well, along with the sea salt and soy sauce, and sauté lightly
7. Put in a plate, sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese on top
8. Serve together with the turkey burger
9. Eat it
10. Make appreciation sound... yummm!

This dish is so simple and tasted so good. Now reflecting to my choice of ingredients, if you have access to non SPAM turkey burger, I would strongly suggest you use that instead, but otherwise this do just fine. Or if you want to make chicken burgers, or any fish or grill (go with white meat or seafood, not red meat); they would make a fine companion to the pasta.

And thanks to Rie, I now know that this pasta dish has a name... it is Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino!!! Google away, or you can make do with my revolutionary recipe. I use bay leaves and soy sauce - and no other people have done so in the past.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger piece de resistance said...

Hi Tako. Loved your idea about how to cook late at night when you just have red pepper! When I open my fridge I find at least milk and youghourt and a Bulgarian spicy sauce RED again of course made from tomato and peppers I think they call it Libovicha I cant really read Bulgarian.. I mix youghourt with this..Last night I didnt dig in the fridge but the cupboard A friend reminded me of a red installation Come visit our room.http://doresist.blogspot.com/2007/10/room-51524-tenants-name-woman.html.It is english this one so at least you will fee comfortable with the language..

October 8, 2007 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Taiko Tari said...

What does Libovicha taste like?

OK, checking the link now.

October 9, 2007 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger piece de resistance said...

thank you fro your comment for the room,coming from you ,i mean from the other part of the universe it really means to me..tenant woman,i should have guessed but my knowledge of Japanese is 0
thanks for visiting Taiko.Stay in touch.more colors in the shade and shape of red to come .I have added your links.The cooking blog is indeed a discovery
Libovicha tastes mildly hot it is based on tomato and looks like a paste with peppers and other Bulgarian secrets check
http://www.olinezza.com/en/products/catchup.html
Tomato concentrate, water, chilly paste, carrots, refined vegetable oil, pepper paste, sugar, modified starch Е1422, salt, spices
Energy value: 93 kcal (389 kJ)/100 g product 100 g – 93 Кcal http://www.passionateaboutfood.net/bulgarian.php

October 9, 2007 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Real Live Lesbian said...

Sounds yummy! I love simple pasta dishes that I can throw together in a flash!

October 13, 2007 at 2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home