Taiko Tari Online

Life is so full of surprises. You pick a path when you get up in the morning, much to your astonishments, some things can go extremely 180 degrees from what you plan it to be. I'd like to share with you the bizarre incidents or stories in my life.

Friday, October 06, 2006

An Eventful Journey

If it's not a natural disaster conspiracy, then I don't know what to call it.

I have never experienced such an eventful departure for an overseas trip.

Thursday morning I got up and discovered that the sky had opened above Tokyo and it was pouring like a monsoon. Debating whether or not to take my scooter to work, I caved in since I need to lug a bunch of stuff home to bring with me to Athens. Pulled my rain gear out, covered myself very tightly I embarked to the office.

The entire day on Thursday, the rain didn't seem to be showing any indication to stop. I still had at least 3 things to do before I hit home, and it all involved getting from point A to point B, namely:
1) I need to carry my laptop, conference papers, and a bunch of little 'omiyages' for the loved ones in Europe
2) Must get the 8:03 AM NEX ticket at any JR station
3) Must arrange a taxi pickup for the morning

The typhoon rain really dampened the mood of every living thing on earth. I somberly packed up my stuff and put them in a large garbage bag (don't think a wet PowerBook and soggy senbei will do anyone any good, that's all) and stuffed them in my backpack.
Let's see outside... the rain show any indication of stopping? NOPE. OK, I held my breath and started the very rainy journey to JR Yoyogi station. The ticket office has already closed. I then went to one of the machine. My lucky day, I could still get a seat. The two guys who happened to lined up behind me got the standing ticket, poor lads.

So.... the rain became bigger. By then it's already almost 9 PM. Thinking that I haven't packed, I held my breath yet again and started my scooter and drove home. Was I soaked or WHAT!! You could put me in one of those dryers for 45 minutes, and I think I will still have some water somewhere. DRENCHED.

Looking at the bright side, however, Pino the scooter finally got his well-deserved shower. hehe...

The challenge continued, since the rain is looking very unfriendly, I dreaded the thought to have to walk with my luggage to Shinjuku station. Yes it is only 10 minutes walk away, but the rain will just destroy my every possession. So, taxi pickup service it is. With Odaiko Divydong as my witness, I called literally 10 taxi companies to arrange a pickup for the following morning, only to be grunted, "No, we don't take reservation less than 12 hours prior." The only taxi company who offers this has turned me down for full capacity.
One taxi company said, however, for me to try to call again 30 minutes prior to my departure, so I may get someone.

7 AM, tried to call the cab company once again, after 30 seconds of checking availability, the dude said, "Sorry ma'am, we don't have any car available that can get to you within 30 minutes."
All right, I had no choice. Lugged down my 2 luggage I embarked towards Koshu-Kaido avenue praying there would be a cab somewhere, otherwise me and my sad luggage are screwed. Finally a cab stopped and we made our way to Shinjuku station.

From Shinjuku to Narita airport, the trip wasn't eventful. It was raining but otherwise everything was on schedule until I boarded the plane.

Having only slept 4 hours the past night and 3 hours the night before yesterday I was just glad I made it to the plane. I dozed off the minute I sat down. I woke up 1 hour after that only to realize that we have not moved even an inch from the spot. Apparently the typhoon was stubborn, we were waiting for the windy rainy sky to slow down a bit so we can fly off... nope, not happening. After nearly 2 hours, finally the plane embarked.
WHOA! Such a bumpy flight. It felt like you're riding a roller coaster, pretty scary let me tell ya'! The air was so bumpy that everybody was seated for 1.5 hours, captain's order. Even the flight attendants were sitting. OK, let's put it this way... the bumpy flight, well you can kinda enjoy that as an unusual activity, but the problem is that everybody was HUNGRY, THIRSTY, NEED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM. And we haven't been able to move from our seat for 4 hours straight, by then. Oh joy... NOT.

FInally... we have been having pretty uneventful 5 hours. I am now flying across the ocean with Lufthansa, using their 10 Euro Connexion service. Pretty neat. My only concern is that I might miss my connection flight to Athens and will be stranded in Munich. A thought that I can't say I'm looking forward to having since I'm due for a meeting tomorrow morning, in Athens.... not Munich.

OK... I guess I could just put my nose into the papers again and wish with all I might that after all these disasters, there will be something extra good waiting for me somewhere.

All right... still 3 more hours to go. I think I'm going to miss my flight. OK, let's bug one of the flight attendant with some duty free retail therapy, it might pick up my mood.

Adios!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm... another adventure? ihihihi... Raindrops falling on your head, but you keep on walking.. :)

October 7, 2006 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home